Where to Find HTRC | Access to HTRC | HTRC Layout | Locating HTRC Materials | Loan Privileges | Fines | Loss and Damage | Wifi Access | Discussion Corners | Computer Column | Quick Search Stations | Photocopying and Printing | Video Camera for Recording Presentations | Notebook and Mouse Lending | Scanning Station | Power Cord, Headphone, Power Point Presenter Lending | Octopus Card Transaction Checking | SHTM Souvenirs | Notice Boards | Food/Drink Vending Machines | Food & Beverage Policy | Material Recommendation | Copyright
|Where to Find HTRC|
HTRC is located on the 4th floor of the School of Hotel & Tourism Management, 17 Science Museum Road, TST East, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
|Access to HTRC|
SHTM staff and students are automatically entitled to gain access to HTRC. Patrons must have a valid University Identity Card for admission and access to HTRC resources.
Access to SHTM’s electronic databases is only available to SHTM staff and students.
Access to databases and e-joumals of the PolyU Main Library is only available to PolyU staff and students under licensing agreements with the publishers.
HTRC is divided into 3 areas with a total of 262 seats.
TH401 Social Learning Space
- Social gathering area where conversation at moderate levels is allowed.
- Hot/cold bottled drinks are permitted.
- Consumption of cold sandwiches and food similar in nature to that sold in the vending machine is allowed, patrons are asked to clear their trash.
- Use of power cords is not allowed.
TH402 Self Learning Space
- Silent study area where no talking is allowed.
- Bottled cold drinks only are permitted.
- No food consumption is allowed.
- No mobile phone use is allowed.
TH403 Open Learning Space
- Group study area where conversation at moderate levels is allowed.
- Bottled cold drinks are permitted.
- No food consumption is allowed.
- Mobile phones need to be on silent mode.
- Use of Power cords is allowed.
|Locating HTRC Materials|
Books and materials are arranged according to their call numbers (Library of Congress).
Loan privileges for patrons
|Member||Quota||Type of materials||Loan Period||Renewal|
|Staff||10 items||Final year projects / Dissertations / Assignments||3 days||2 times|
|Journals for in-house use only|
|Students||3 items||All items (except **)||3 days||2 times|
|** Journals, FYPs, dissertations & assignments are for in-house use only|
All items must be returned on time. The overdue fine for the late return of a borrowed item is HK$5 per day (up to a maximum of HK$200 per item). If outstanding fines are not settled within three months, borrowing privileges will be suspended. Members should settle overdue fines as soon as possible.
|Loss and Damage|
HTRC should be notified of any lost or damaged items immediately. Patrons held responsible for the loss or damage of resources need to pay for the replacement plus any accumulated fines. If the cost of replacement cannot be verified (e.g., gifts or donated items), patrons will be charged depending on the cost of an equivalent item.
Patrons with valid PolyU NetID and NetPassword may connect their notebooks to the campus network and the Internet through the wireless network in the HTRC. In case of any problems connecting to PolyU’s wireless network, please get help at the Counter.
The 4 Discussion Corners equipped with recording facilities (ManyCam User Menu) are open for bookings by SHTM students or staff members to use for group study or presentation practice. The corners may be booked for groups of 3 to 7 people to work together.
- All bookings should be made at the circulation counter.
- Advance bookings up to one month are allowed.
- Booking is limited to a maximum of 2.5 hours per booking.
- Users should not occupy the corner after the booking time, and have to leave upon request by HTRC staff.
- Walk-in users may book the corner at the circulation counter on condition that the corner is available.
Check In / Check Out
- The user who makes the booking should leave his / her university ID card at the circulation counter upon check-in.
- If the user who made the reservation does not check-in at the counter within 15 minutes of the booking time, HTRC staff members reserve the right to reassign the corner to other users.
- Please turn off the computer and collect your University ID card at the counter after use.
Conduct of Users
- Users should not eat or drink at the corner.
- Users should keep the corner in a neat and orderly condition.
- Users should not leave any valuables unattended. HTRC is not responsible for any loss or damage to personal items. Any items left after vacating the corner will be removed without prior notice.
- HTRC reserves the right to inspect the corner even if it is in use.
- Users are required to observe HTRC regulations other than the above terms.
For further enquiries, please contact HTRC circulation counter. Thank you!
16 PCs connected to 3 photocopiers are available in TH403 Social Learning Space. All patrons can use these PCs that have access to the Internet and HTRC’s electronic databases. No login is required.
|Software Configuration||Hardware Configuration|
|Operating System and Applications||Lenovo All-in-one desktop|
Please report any software and/or hardware problems to Counter staff.
|Quick Search Stations|
Personal computers located in the area next to the bookshelves are meant for quick catalogue searches and printing ONLY.
|Photocopying and Printing|
Photocopying and printing services are available in TH401. Octopus Cards are accepted.
|Black & White Photocopying and Printing||$0.2(A4), $0.4(A3) per page|
|Colour Photocopying and Printing||$1.5(A4), $3(A3) per page|
For the 2017/18 academic year, each SHTM student is allocated free printing quota of up to 150 pages. Only black-and-white printing is available for free printing quota.
For more information, please refer to the User guide for free quota printing (Oct 2017) .
|Paper size / Printing
|Print quota to be deducted|
|A4 single sided||1|
|A4 double sided||2|
|A3 double sided||2|
|A3 single sided||4|
- Please report any problems with the photocopiers to Counter staff.
- Please observe Hong Kong copyright law and rules for fair use while making photocopies.
|Video Camera for Recording Presentations|
Patrons who reserve the Discussion Corner may borrow a video camera for recording purposes.
For enquiries and assistance, please contact Counter staff.
|Notebook and Mouse Lending|
The School of Hotel & Tourism Management (SHTM) provides a notebook lending service to SHTM students to assist in their learning and research activities. 20 wireless notebooks are available for 5 hour loans within HTRC and 1 week loans outside HTRC. The notebooks may be borrowed from the Counter.
|Operating System and Applications||Hardware Configuration|
This service is governed by the HTRC Notebook Lending Policy.
The scanning station has a 50-page feeder and can scan color documents. Files can be saved to a USB drive. Its use is free of charge.
- Place your document on the scanner glass face down.
- Open “ScanWizard DI” program by clicking on the icon on the desktop.
- The program will generate a preview of your document by clicking the “Preview” button.
- You can drag the dotted line around the preview image to crop the image.
- Click “Scan to” to save the image to your USB drive.
|Power Cord, Headphone, Power Point Presenter Lending|
A USB power port, wireless presenter, and headphones can be borrowed from the Counter using the patron’s ID card.
|Octopus Card Transactions
The last 10 transactions made with the Octopus card on either the photocopier or the vending machines can be checked at PC near the front door.
HTRC offers unique souvenirs relating to SHTM, such as pins, T-shirts, books and gifts starting at HKD15.00. All proceeds from the sales will go to SHTM’s development fund.
For enquiries and assistance please contact Counter Staff.
2 notice boards are located in the corridor, which provides patrons with HTRC news, information, activities, and programs being held at HTRC and SHTM.
For any F&B project team and student associations who want to post materials in HTRC, please send both a hard and soft copy of the materials to our Counter for approval.
|Food/Drink Vending Machines|
2 vending machines with drinks and snacks can be found in TH401 Social Learning Space. Octopus cards are accepted.
|Food & Beverage Policy|
HTRC is SHTM property – please respect the facilities and equipment provided, and the comfort of fellow patrons. We appreciate your cooperation in looking after the centre environment. Please ensure that you have read and understood the Food & Beverage Policy.
HTRC welcomes recommendations for purchases of textbooks and/or AV materials for its collection.
Please forward the completed recommendation form to email@example.com for consideration.
Patrons are reminded to observe the Copyright Warning and relevant legal restrictions when photocopying copyrighted materials. They can also refer to the Copyright Ordinance (Cap 528) on the government website at http://www.legislation.gov.hk/eng/home.htm. For enquiries and assistance relating to copying, printing and scanning matters, please approach our Counter or contact us at 3400 2277 / firstname.lastname@example.org.